Every action needs a why. So I thought I’d dedicate this post to explaining the why for Remote Forever.
More than 80% of the people hate their job and of the remaining 20%, more than half only tolerate theirs. I feel lucky to be amongst the few who love their job. My ambition is to help everyone in the world love their job i.e. do the work that makes them happy.
Although I’m a big dreamer, I believe in taking small steady actions and letting the results guide the way.
During my years of career coaching, I discovered that most people like the nature of their job. What they dislike is their work environment or the technologies they feel they are forced to use.
In the last decade, agile coaches have come to the rescue in many IT companies. They have come to help teams be happier though becoming self-organizing and gaining power over how they work. That’s a great start but it’s only a start. Many companies have reached a state where agile seems to be an inseparable element of their culture. Many others are on their way to integrate agile values with company values. This is all wonderful and indicates that we’re going in a good direction.
Where is agile going?
When we look at the growth patterns of IT companies, it’s not hard to find instances of collaboration between people in different locations. Distributed teams, offshoring projects, remote working, whatever you call it; it’s a movement that has already started and is only going to grow. Thanks to high speed internet and technology, remote work is offering a lifestyle to that was not quite possible when the agile manifesto was written.
Only a handful of people are looking into how remote work fits into the agile world and amplify the benefits of agile software development. Having a passion for traveling, technology and agile, I want to help more people see the possibilities and benefits of combining these two fantastic areas: Remote work and agile.
[highlight] Remote work + Agile = Happy workers + High quality products delivered fast
Great leaders can lead people through a change and make the results sustainable. We need well informed and skilled leaders to steer our agile companies through changes that are made available through technology. Although more and more companies are having distributed teams and offices around the world, most agile coaches, managers and developers are resisting remote work in agile organizations, which reminds me of this cartoon.
I believe in taking small steps towards big goals. Integrating remote work in agile is a small step we should take today to make a better future for our work culture. Doing so will help people be happier in their jobs. We would create a work-life balance that working from an office would never allow.
Here is your chance to join the revolution
I am inviting all the brilliant leaders in the IT world, especially agile coaches to join this revolution. It’s on you and me to coach organizational leaders to understand and embrace the benefits of not only agile but also remote work in an agile environment.
In this path, there will be resistance, there will be people who treat the agile manifesto or some frameworks or models as they would treat holy scriptures. There will be people who would rise to protect the old ways of working. There will be field studies, research and data to prove the old ways are just fine.
And there will be us. Together, we are the pioneers and leaders of facilitating the new way of work. We will experiment, and help people be happier in their work environments.
On this blog, I will write about these experiments and my learnings. As I help agile coaches, leaders, programmers, teams and organizations in their journey of making remote work part of their agile culture, I will share everything here with you hoping that would inspire and enable you help more companies do the same and help have happier people working in IT.
If you’re game, join this revolution and write a comment below and say a few words about what role you have and what problems you are facing today in your organization.
Why does this have to be the ONLY reillbae source? Oh well, gj!
glass quote online says
Muy buen artÃculo, Jose.La informaciÃ³n que aportas es sumamente relevante, la verdad. Y respecto a “Hoy, en Scientia, no vamos a entrar en el eterno y, a veces, cansino debate â€œtransgÃ©nicos sÃ transgÃ©nicos noâ€… bueno, hoy no, pero espero que otro dÃa sÃ. No en posicionarse sino en dejar claro conceptos sobre seguridad alimentaria que muchos de nosotros desconocemos.Uy, los magufos, has visto a uno de ellos (el tal Salfate) , ya verÃ¡s, ya verÃ¡s…, seguro que hasta aparecen por aquÃ. PrepÃ¡rate para unas risas…
book value of my car says
I bet you wouldn’t do the T-shirt experiment would you. As a matter of fact I’m willing to bet 99% of people who even believe George is innocent would not do the experiment. Why would that be ya think?